World ARC 2020 Joining Instructions
Leg 8: Port Vila, Vanuatu to Airlie Beach, Australia, 7th August–4th September 2020
Skyelark will be anchored in the bag at Port Vila. Please call Dan on 0044 7876 643206 to find the boat or WhatsApp works well.
Airport code for Port Vila is VLI. Prosperpine airport is the closest for Airlie Beach.
Join date is 7th August from 1200 onwards.
We then will have time to explore the island of Efate before making our way north up the island chain to Espiritu Santo which is the island we will set sail for Australia from on around the 19th August. It's about a 7 day sail across to Mackay on the mainland of Australia. From here we will have the opportunity to sail around the wonderful Whitsunday islands before finishing in Airlie Beach on the mainland.
Please plan on leaving the boat by 1200. We can assist with recommendations for local accommodation if required.
We will provide top & bottom sheets, pillows & cases. We do not provide towels.
You need to bring:
- Light weight waterproofs for the odd tropical downpour
- Small torch (flashlight) - head torches are recommended, red light useful for night time
- Personal music player/a couple of books/kindle
- Sunglasses & sun hat
- Mosquito spray
- Light warm weather clothing to include sun 'cover ups'
- Any personal medication
- Camera and charger
- Mask and Snorkel (and fins if required)
- Personal water bottle
- Personal insurance – we recommend Topsail: http://www.topsailinsurance.co.uk/a/SKL
We recommend bringing:
- Sailing gloves if required
- Small backpack for walks ashore
- Trainers/hiking sandals – we recommend Keen or Teva
- A small waterproof bag for dinghy trips can be useful
- Lonely Planet or similar guide book covering areas we will be visiting
It's warm during the day and cools quite a bit at night, so for the day time light weight cover ups are ideal. In the evening if you’re susceptible to cold and if it’s breezy you will need fleeces and trousers. The water is not so warm when we are still south, so a rash vest or shortie wetsuit may be a good idea for swimming or diving.
As with any sailing trip you probably don’t need as much as you think and your luggage should fit into a large soft bag - no suitcases please!
Vatu for Vanuatu and Australian Dollars for Australia.
Please let us know in advance:
- Flight details
- Medical issues
- Dietary requirements